Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

May 2017

May was packed with great things!

Sterling had a great time at our May Cub Scout Pack Meeting.  We went on a beautiful hike!  Also, Sterling earned some significant awards.



Soccer is in full swing.



We started sewing lessons with Kasia, a friend in our ward.  She is teaching us to make pajama pants.





I was able to chaperone for the 7th grade field trip with Eve.  We went fishing and on a beautiful hike.  They also had team building games and a picnic lunch.






Mothers day was lovely!  The family made me a delicious breakfast and lots of sweet mother's day cards and gifts.  I got to attend Relief Society since the youth covered Primary.  In the evening we had a cookout and had the Thomas kids over for dinner.   Oh, and we played with Matt's newly purchased chicks!





Look how big our rabbit, Grace has become!






Christian had an end of preschool party.  He got out of school about a week before the other kids.  He will return to preschool next year and enjoy the same teachers.  He has learned social skills as well as how to write his name among other things.




Sterling had his Spring Strings Concert.  It is fun to see how much he has grown this year in his ability.



Here is Sheri in her last soccer game of the season.  She had an undefeated season!  I loved watching her play!


Sterling played in the soccer tournament at the end of the season.  His team won the the tournament.  I was really proud of how hard he worked!  He was a great asset to his team!






Sterling and Sheri both had field day and end of school year parties/picnics.  Christian enjoyed them too!





Sterling had his 5th Grade graduation ceremony, clap out and ring out.  This was a special day marking the milestone of leaving elementary school.  It was bittersweet to see my little boy so grown up.






All the kids got stellar grades!  Eve earned the Esquire Award for her high GPA, but more significantly she earned the Living the Irish Way Award.  This award is for students who are nominated by a teacher who feels that they demonstrate Integrity, Respect, Individual Responsibility, Service, and High Expectations.  I have always had nothing but positive feedback from Eve's teachers.   They often go out of their way to express their appreciation for her positive influence.  We are grateful for her best efforts!







School ended and summer started!
This summer I have had lots of plans and goals.  We have daily themes (Make it Monday - Sewing and Cooking lessons), Trip Tuesday, Wet Wednesday, Parks/Hikes Thursday, and Friend Fridays.)  Although we have to be flexible and switch days occasionally, it is helpful for getting a variety of activities and for planning.

I knew that this summer I didn't want to feel alone in trying to complete household responsibilities before we could play.  The kids would grow impatient and I would feel pressured to hurry or skip things.  So I implemented a plan to have them all help with morning jobs, laundry, meal prep, weeding, and dinner duties.  It helps them to learn/relearn how to do most household duties, and it help us all to be ready to play sooner.  I also don't allow screen time until 4:00 PM and only if they get everything done (including reading, math, and music).  Then they only get the amount of time that they have read.  It has been so GREAT!  The kids have had such good attitudes and have used their minds to do fun, creative things.  On their first day of summer break they made a volcano.

Here are a few fun pictures of our days.












And finally, we celebrated Sheri's birthday.  She is such a sweetheart!  I made her cinnamon rolls and Matt made her a smoothie for "breakfast in bed."  Then I took her shopping at the mall and to lunch.  Then I took the kids swimming.  I made Sloppy Joes for dinner and then we watched a movie at home.  (Good thing because Christian got sick that evening.)  Sheri wanted lemon cake this year.








What a fun day!


Other things we've been up to:
- The kids are finishing their recital dances in preparation for June

- Matt chaperoned Sterling's field trip to JA Biz Town. (The kids spend a day in different careers in a simulated real life scenario).  He also went on the 5th grade celebration day at the local water park (Zoombezi Bay).  He enjoyed his time with Sterling

-  Matt and I finalized our Trust/Will/Living Will documents (been working on this for the past year) (So glad to have this done!

- Eve had a Spring Band Concert and was able to perform with her trio ensemble again as well as her jazz band.

- Sterling enjoyed a soccer team party near the end of his season.

- Eve was able to travel with her school's 7th grade music students to King's Island (an amusement park).  She had a great time performing and then riding all kinds of rides with her friends.  She surprised herself with how brave she really is.

- Nassim Klein came over and we enjoyed Panera lunch together.

- The kids all went to the dentist.

- Eve was referred from her Sports Medicine doctor on to a Rheumatologist who didn't find any signs of Rheumatoid Arthritis or anything else.  She recommended additional physical therapy and a simple orthotic.

- We enjoyed a Memorial Day breakfast with our ward at a nearby park.

Well that's about all folks unless you want to count all the everyday stuff like piano, dance, church responsibilities, and play dates.  Happy summertime!

No comments: